Liverpool street art is amongst some of the most talked about in the country, so what’s the most popular in the UK and which one’s feature in Liverpool’s top ten?
New research by Transpennine Express has found Liverpool to be amongst the northern cities most documented for street art with over 9,000 Instagram posts relating to date. This Liverpool in fourth place behind Manchester, Sheffield and Glasgow for the most talked about street art.
We already know that Liverpool is a city bursting with culture and now street art goes hand in hand with our rich football and musical origins. For All Liverpool’s Liver Birds by independent artist Paul Curtis is by far one of the most renowned street art murals here in the city and the research finds that it is the third hottest piece of street art in the North right now, whilst Paul himself is the fourth most Instagrammed artist.
Current Top 5 UK Street Art Murals
Analysis of street art Instagram posts tagged in the north between June and July finds that Liverpool’s Liver Birds mural makes the top five most loved league. Contemporary street artist Sam Bates aka Smug, self-titled ‘big wall painter’ Jim Vision and graffiti artist Akse also chart for having the hottest pieces right now.
1. Saint Mungo by Smug (High Street, Glasgow)
2. Fellow Glasgow Residents by Smug (Ingram Street Car Park, Glasgow)
3. For all Liverpool’s Liver Birds by Paul Curtis (Jamaica Street, Liverpool)
4. The Tyger by Jim Vision (Thomas Street, Manchester)
5. Liam Gallager by Akse (8 Newton Street, Manchester)
Top 10 Liverpool Street Art Murals
1. For all Liverpool’s Liver Birds by Paul Curtis (Jamaica Street, Liverpool)
2. Irony’s Straw Girl by Irony (Jamaica Street, Liverpool)
3. John Lennon Mural by Jules Muck (Cropper Street, Liverpool)
4. Lovers by Neil Keating by Bold Street, Liverpool
5. Ode To Mo by Guy McKinley Basnett Street, Liverpool
6. Jürgen Klopp by Akse (Baltic Triangle, Liverpool)
7. Abbey Road by Paul Curtis (Cains Brewery, Liverpool)
8. All You Need Is Love, Artist Unknown (60 Hope Street, Liverpool)
9. Michael Jackson Moonwalker Mural by Paul Curtis (Colquitt Street, Liverpool)
10. Philth’s Contrast Muralfest Mural by Philth (Fabric District, Liverpool)
What’s your favourite Liverpool street art? Leave your comments below.